Thursday, January 28, 2010

I'm Back! Barefoot?

Thank you to all of my new friends for the well wishes!

Today was my first day back in a week and it was rough! :) But I'm still smiling. My knees ached and my right shin was a little stiff but I reached my goal of three miles AND I could walk off of the treadmill afterwards! That was huge for me! I plan on taking it easy this week (slower times and less distance) to see how my shins do. I don't want a week off from running to be for nothing! Thank you to all of my new friends for the well wishes!

There was a special tonight on the news about running barefoot. Apparently Harvard University researchers compared people who had always run with shoes to people that had recently converted to barefoot running. As to be expected, people who run with shoes are "heel strikers". Barefoot runners are more likely to point their foot and avoid heel collision. Click HERE for a more in-depth news report! Even RunnersWorld has posted an article or two. Try this ONE!

So I guess I'm curious...

Have you ever run barefoot?

Do you like it?
Is it something you would recommend to others?

3 comments:

  1. Glad you are feeling better.
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love barefoot running-- vibrams are great!! You should try it sometime :)

    Very happy to hear about your shins getting better... what have you been doing for them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see you are able to get back to running, Amy. I am here from over on the 1000-Mile Club and I am here to cheer you on. But just take it easy getting back into any distance, especially at any speed. Don't try to get back to quickly and re-injure yourself.

    ReplyDelete