Thursday, January 14, 2010

Push me... I need You.

The best I've ever run! This evening I ran 3 miles in 41:40. That is really good for me! I think I really need to get more sleep though. My morale and focus are just gone. Once I am about a mile into the run I am fine but it is so difficult to get started. Is this normal?

After reading my new friend Michele's blog, I realized that I might be in the minority of runners. I love to run on the treadmill! I think it is easy to develop a steady pace, keep perfect track of time and distance, watch tv, and be in the privacy of my basement. As I thought about it more though, I also realized that I am totally dependent on the treadmill. The thought of running outside scares me! I could trip over a curb, use up all of my energy in the first 1/2 mile, get hit by a car, or get made of by a passerby. Even as I type this I realize that it is probably rooted mainly in my own lack of self-confidence. Let's be honest though, who wants to see a large blob bouncing down the street on their way to work? I am not a small woman with rather *ahem* large breasts. It just isn't a pretty sight and because I know that, I just can't focus on running when outside. Putting all of my self-image issues aside... Does anyone have any advice on how to transfer what I have accomplished on a treadmill to outside? Is there a special way to start running outside? I'm scared.

I hope running is going well for everyone and I hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow!

8 comments:

  1. I think you will find that you and I are a minority. I voted for the treadmill, a.k.a. the "dreadmill," but not by me.
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just have to go for it! Once you start running outside you develop a whole new love of the sport. If you are training for a race, you really need to incorporate outdoors running as the treadmill, in no way, will prepare you for the elements you will encounter outside such as wind, rain, heat, cold, etc. It's a good start though and I hope you keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you I do a lot of my running on the treadmill I like being able to control incline and speed. I sometimes avoid running outside because of my irrational fear of stray dogs. The only advice I could is to change your focus you have to tell yourself "today you are working one being better than your were yesterday" and can't worry about what people will think I used to be super self conscious when running outside and even now will sometime stop and walk when someone drives or walks by but I just have to tell myself my running is about me, no one else. Hope that helps but remember no matter how you get your workouts done at least your doing them. :) Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there
    I saw your new blog mentioned on Mel's blog and now I'm a follower.

    It's been a few years since training for my first long distance run, but I think you're perfectly normal. I've run 25 marathons and there are a lot (most) days that its hard to get going! What might help, is getting some sort of garmin or something that can track your pace and beeps at you when you go under. It involves a lot less thinking and will put you more in a treadmill-like situation!

    Once you get outside and give it a little time I"m sure you'll love it just as much as that horrible (to me) treadmill :) Good luck, looking forward to seeing how you make out.

    -Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I started running I loved the treadmill. I could read a magazine, watch tv and it helped me to make the miles go by and to see my pace speed up. As you start to get more comfortable and do it longer the outdoors will beckon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here via Tall Mom! I love running outside. You will find that people are so impressed that you are running that they wave and thumbs up you and all that jazz.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hehehehe... I like bringing my friends to visit.. Hugs and keep on going!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I first started running outside I went to a local Junior High on the weekends and ran on the track. It was easy to keep track of how far I had gone and was free from others seeing me - I too was so self concious that I didn't want people to see me run.
    Just start out slow - since you dont have the treadmill pacing you - dont start too fast and burn out to quickly! Now I run where ever and while I would rather people didnt see me run - I doesn't stop me!!! Once you get outside you will love it!!!

    ReplyDelete