Thursday, February 25, 2010

Oh Women!

Hello Blogging Friends! I am so glad you decided to read my blog today!

Yesterday I wrote about a certain mom/woman issue that I have been struggling with while running. While I didn't really get very many comments, I felt liberated by putting my body issues out there.

Today a great friend of mine, who is also training for the half-marathon, Facebooked me with her running frustrations. Her name has been changed to insure her privacy! Valerie had just bought a new pair of shoes and had blisters all over her feet. Maybe it was the pain or maybe it was just the sheer longing to be at the finish and not the starting line, but something set Valerie off into a venting rant. She cried out in an urgency that was not lost in digital translation, "Why does it have to be so difficult?!" Ladies, I know that most of us have felt that cry building up in our chests at some point. I know I have and that's why I could only laugh when Valerie said, "Why can't I put on my socks and shoes that don't cause blisters, comfy shorts I don't have to continually pull the crotch down in due to my rubbing thighs, wear one sports bra-not two due to my large boobs and a comfortable shirt-not one that used to fit but now shows my pleasantly plump stomach! WHY DOES IT HAVE TO SUCK SO MUCH!"

Oh, Valerie! I love your humor so much and I truly love that we share such odd trials and tribulations! So ladies, the reason I have posted this is make sure that if you are awkward or insecure about something or things pertaining to your body, please don't let them stop you from running. You are not alone!

I have learned something very important from the book that I am reading, (Marathoning for Mortals), and that is: there is no such thing as a runner's body. We are all starting at different levels and with different "handicaps" but we all have a mutual goal...
that damn finish line!

Happy Running!


2 comments:

  1. You can try these capris: http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/RRL902/
    I find them comfortable. Also moisture wicking socks will help with the blisters.

    My feeling is that it doesn't have to be hard. When I first became a runner, I made it hard. I was constantly pushing myself to go longer, faster, harder. It lasted for a few years then I got tired of it. It had stopped being fun a long time before, but it got to the place where I dreaded my daily runs.

    This time I am taking it easy and keeping it fun. I know I can run fairly fast. I know i can run far. I can't right now, but knowing I could because I have in the past makes that not matter. So now each run is done at a relaxing pace, no matter how slow that might be. I take time to look around me if I am outside. I try not to pay attention to the numbers on my treadmill (with varying rates of success). The point of all this is, that it doesn't have to be hard. We make it so. Try making it fun.
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your blog today.. Love it! I'm NOT a runner, but I am a stay at home mom trying to get back into shape and lose some weight from having two kiddos.

    Sounds like you are doing a great job!!!
    Looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete