Saturday, February 27, 2010

Runners With a Reason

I have joined a wonderful organization called Runners With a Reason! It is a community of runners who are driven to run. Every runner has a reason why he or she runs. Most of them are quite different. This organization not only supports running programs in the community but the money I raise will also go to a cause of my choice.

When I am asked to picture a "runner" in my head, for some reason there is always a dog running at her side. While I have been running on a treadmill this winter, the second it is warm enough, my golden retriever, Zeke, and I will be out pounding the pavement. I believe every dog should have the opportunity to run and play. I believe that every dog deserves the opportunity to simply wag its tail. That is why I have chosen Hearts United for Animals as my non-profit organization to raise funds for.

Hearts United for Animals is a national no-kill animal shelter, sanctuary and animal welfare organization dedicated to the relief of suffering. It rescues dogs from all over the country and specializes in long distance adoptions. It takes creatures who are lost, afraid, hungry or ill and comforts them, gives them a warm, soft bed, good food, medical care and most of all, love.

I have volunteered there and I can honestly say that the dogs in this shelter are truly blessed!

In 64 days I will be doing one of the hardest things I have ever tried to do. While my dog won't be at my side on race day, I know that every time I get close to quitting I'll think of the hard work that Zeke and I will have put into this together. I will also be the runner with the bright gold shirt on that has the words on the back:
I run because every dog deserves to wag its tail!

Please go to my fundraising site and just donate. I know I will appreciate it and I definitely know the dogs and cats at Hearts United will appreciate it.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck, and agree 100%. In fact, after reading this post I realize that I need to take my dog out to run more often. I just may do it right now. Great post, and I look forward to following your blog. Feel free to check mine out at http://runridelive.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. I am looking forward to a few runs with my little Spotticus soon myself.

    ReplyDelete