Saturday, March 6, 2010

Sleep! Of course!

I can't believe I forgot the ever important sleep in my immune system post from yesterday. What was I thinking?! I can actually thank my bestfriend's husband for mentioning sleep. He has considerable experience participating in Triathlons and such and he had some great advice. Thanks Trey!

There have been many studies also concerning sleep's affect on athletes. I found some really great ones with a simple Google search. But I still needed to know the amount of sleep that was right for athletes. I'm a mom! I need to schedule in sleep if I'm going to get any :) So here is part of an article that explains one way to make sure you are getting enough sleep:

How Much Sleep Do You Need?
Research shows that as little as 20 hours of sleep deprivation can have a negative impact on sports performance, particularly for power and skill sports.

Sleep experts recommend seven to nine hours of daily sleep for adults, and nine to ten hours for adolescents and teens. You can estimate your own needs by experimenting over a few weeks. If you fall asleep within 20 minutes of going to bed and wake up without an alarm, you are probably getting the right amount of sleep. If you fall asleep immediately upon hitting the pillow and always need an alarm to wake up, you are probably sleep deprived.

The good news for most recreational athletes is that just one sleepless night is not necessarily associated with any negative effects on performance. So, don't worry if you toss and turn the night before a big competition. One sleepless night is unlikely to hurt your performance.


Click here to visit the full article. I think I am going to be trying the little experiment that they recommended. So... Good Night!


4 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny how we forget the simplest things!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting article. So simple, right? There is a surprise for you on my blog! Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are several nights that I feel like an Old Lady going to bed at 8 or 8:30. But, when I wake up at 5:30 to get to the gym, I have to! I'm a 8-9 hours of sleep kinda girl. If I get less than that I am worthless the next day. Hopefully your baby girl is being cooperative in that respect! I know it's hard for us moms, cuz it's not just our schedule we're working around, it's their's too. Feel better my dear :)

    ReplyDelete